MADISON, Wis. - A fire caused by unattended cooking displaced 15 people from their homes Thursday, according to a news release from the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to 2215 Carling Drive at 5:44 p.m. Thursday after receiving multiple 911 calls reporting heavy smoke coming from the building.
When crews arrived, they found smoke along the eaves of the building and a fire in the kitchen of a second-floor unit.
After putting out the flames, firefighters ventilated the building to get rid of the heavy smoke.
Officialssaid eight apartment units are now considered uninhabitable. The American Red Cross is assisting residents who need a place to stay.
Authorities do not have a damage estimate at this time.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Crews responding to fire at apartment near UW campus
- Reedsburg Touched Twice Clinic gets families ready to go back to school
- Hot Dogs for Cool Cats promotes cat adoption from 9 Lives Rescue
- Stoughton coffee festival recognizes city's history of women in workforce
- Sun Prairie police ramping up security at Sweet Corn Festival in response to fight
- Wisconsin Native Americans granted funds for green projects