COTTAGE GROVE, Wis. - A Cottage Grove boy choked on a toy and was rescued by first responders before being taken to the hospital Friday.
According to a Facebook post from the child's mother, the boy was playing when he put a toy cucumber into his mouth and began to choke.
She said that first responders were able to remove the toy before taking him to pediatric intensive care where he underwent surgery.
The mother expressed her gratitude, saying that while she "thought he was going to die in my arms," first responders from Deer Grove EMS and Cottage Grove police remained calm and controlled while saving his life.
The Cottage Grove Police Department shared her post, confirming the incident and expressing their relief that the child was doing well.
"We are so thankful for our dedicated, professional EMT's, paramedics and officers that go out and do this everyday," the post read. "It is our privilege to be your public service providers, and we love to see stories like this!"
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
2 motorcyclists in hospital after crash in Beaver Dam
ATC says transformer failed, causing substation fires; state not responsible for inspections
- ATC says transformer failed, causing substation fires; state not responsible for inspections
- Madison jazz legend and radio host dies after battle with cancer
- Drivers detouring US 151 construction lead to increase in crashes at Dodgeville intersection
- Aw, shucks! 'Corn sweat' can cause local spikes in humidity, heat index
- 2 Wisconsin brothers missing in Missouri
- Uber driver brings 2 sisters 200 miles from Madison to aunt's 100th birthday party in Minnesota