BELMONT, Wis. - A cheese plant in Belmont was evacuated Friday morning and several employees were taken to a hospital after two chemicals were accidentally mixed together, officials said.
Montchevre president Arnaud Solandt told News 3 an employee accidentally mixed two chemicals together, which caused a smoke reaction.
Solandt said the company evacuated the plant, called emergency crews to the scene, and had all of their employees checked out as a precaution. He said a few employees were taken to a hospital as a precaution, but the all of the other employees were cleared. Solandt did not have an exact number of employees who were taken to a hospital or checked at the scene.
As of 11 a.m., Solandt said emergency crews had tested the plant and cleared it and the employees to go back to work.
Driver disregards deputy, causes high-speed secondary crash, officials say
Veterans bring first-hand experience to Kenosha students
- Driver disregards deputy, causes high-speed secondary crash, officials say
- Veterans bring first-hand experience to Kenosha students
- 1 dead in head-on collision Saturday morning, officials say
- Wisconsin high school students learn to take care of piglets
- Man bashes head, spits on guard after submitting to officers at Trader Joe's, police say
- Sheriff: Driver appeared to deliberately try to hit deputy while officials responded to crash