MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Charges have been filed in the shooting death of a Milwaukee woman who was killed during a robbery nearly a year ago.
Authorities say 53-year-old Karen SImek was shot while she was walking into work at Garden Fresh Foods on Jan. 31, 2017. She had worked at the store for 11 years.
A criminal complaint filed Friday charges Carl Knight with felony murder and possession of a firearm by a felon. The complaint says Knight robbed Simek because he needed rent money. Authorities say "something happened" to scare Knight while he was attempting to steal Simek's purse and he shot her.
Samantha Gustafson and David McLaurin are charged with harboring or aiding a felon.
Woman reported missing from Janesville found safe, officials say
Man accused of attacking 2 women near UW-Madison pleads not guilty to new charges
- Woman reported missing from Janesville found safe, officials say
- Man accused of attacking 2 women near UW-Madison pleads not guilty to new charges
- About 70 treated after air quality forces school evacuation
- Cocaine dealer on probation arrested on suspicion of dealing cocaine
- Group opposes plan to draw Lake Michigan water for Foxconn
- 28-year-old killed in Grant County crash