MADISON, Wis. - Cars stolen from Madison are now being found in Milwaukee and Chicago, Madison police said.
With a 165 percent increase in stolen autos in June of 2018 compared to June of 2017, officials are again reminding residents to lock their vehicles and any doors to their residence.
“We are seeing a disturbing trend in the Nakoma neighborhood where suspects are entering unlocked vehicles in driveways, using the garage door opener to open the garage, then enter the homes at night through unlocked doors leading into the home while the residents are sleeping,” police said in a release.
The burglars are stealing valuables and usually the unlocked cars, according to the release.
A Hiawatha Drive home in the Nakoma Neighborhood was burglarized overnight Tuesday while the family slept, officials said.
The burglar got into an unlocked car, which was parked in the driveway, according to the release. There was a purse and garage door opener inside the car, which allowed the person to get into the garage and then into the house through a door leading into the kitchen.
When the homeowner woke up around 5 a.m., he noticed the kitchen and overhead garage doors were open, police said. A messenger bag and a laptop computer were taken from the home. The purse from the car and the homeowner's SUV, which was also parked in the driveway, were also taken.
Officials are asking everyone to spread the word about locking vehicles and reporting suspicious activity in neighborhoods.
Madison police investigating after more than 20 people reportedly involved in fight, shots fired
Here's what you missed during Walker and Evers' first gubernatorial debate
- Here's what you missed during Walker and Evers' first gubernatorial debate
- Brewers beat Dodgers 7-2: Game 7 Saturday decides who continues to World Series
- Baldwin, Vukmir talk foreign policy in final debate
- 'They've been one of the best teams': Fans think Brewers can win NLCS, continue to World Series
- UW-Madison kicks off homecoming weekend with parade
- 74-year-old woman dies after crash in Janesville, police say