SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - A 9-year-old boy was killed after being struck by a Sheboygan garbage truck at 14th and Center streets on Wednesday morning, according to police.
The child was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the truck was driving northbound on 14th street when city workers attempted to make a right turn to go eastbound on Center Street. The boy was biking northbound on 14th Street at the same time, according to police.
The boy was a student at a local school, and police believe he was on his way to school at the time of the collision.
The Wisconsin State Patrol is conducting the investigation because it was a city-owned vehicle involved in the crash.
Officials are not releasing the boy's identity at this time.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- PFC names Wahl official acting chief as search for permanent replacement begins
- Texas man suspected of killing girlfriend, infant daughter who moved from Wisconsin to be with him
- Schoep's Ice Cream Co. files for receivership
- City leaders address pedestrian safety on the isthmus
- Darlington police chief who was forgotten for the last 86 years to be honored for line-of-duty death
- Sun Prairie cutting down voter wait time by doubling up on polling places