BARABOO, Wis. - A bear was spotted in Sauk County Monday in the early morning hours, police said.
The Baraboo Police Department said officers saw an adult-sized black bear at 12:40 a.m. walking through the municipal pool lot near Campbell Park toward the Village Square Apartments.
Officers found the bear again as it ran across Badger Drive and eventually across the 400 block of Lynn Avenue, according to a post on the department's Facebook page. Officers lost sight of the bear as it continued north toward the river.
Police said the DNR was advised of the sighting.
Police said bear sightings in cities are rare, and residents and visitors are asked to be cautious when outside. They're also asked not to leave out any garbage, which may attract the animals.
- House Speaker Ryan remains non-committal about re-election
- Police search for suspects in armed robbery, officials say
- Brash ex-Milwaukee sheriff David Clarke faces civil trial
- $70K worth of damage estimated in Springdale garage fire
- 2 confirmed dead, serious injuries in I-43 crash, officials say
- Wisconsin ports, harbors receive $8M for improvements