DETROIT - A medical examiner has determined that Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell killed himself by hanging in a Detroit hotel room following a concert.
A full autopsy report was not yet completed Thursday afternoon.
Two Detroit newspapers had earlier cited a police spokesman Cornell was found with "a band around his neck."
A different Detroit Police spokesman, Michael Woody, told The Associated Press Thursday that he could not confirm that Cornell died with a band around his neck.
The Detroit Free Press reported that Detroit police social media manager Dontae Freeman said Cornell was found dead in a hotel room at the MGM Grand Detroit hotel with "a band around his neck." The Detroit News cited Freeman in a similar report.
The 52-year-old Cornell had just performed with Soundgarden at Detroit's Fox Theatre.
- Madison man identified in fatal Beloit crash, officials say
- House Speaker Ryan remains non-committal about re-election
- Police search for suspects in armed robbery, officials say
- Brash ex-Milwaukee sheriff David Clarke faces civil trial
- $70K worth of damage estimated in Springdale garage fire
- 2 confirmed dead, serious injuries in I-43 crash, officials say