OSHKOSH, Wis. - A Wittman Regional Airport employee shot and killed a snowy owl Friday.
The owl was was reported to be within close proximity to a runway and a pilot notified the air traffic control tower of the owl's location.
Airport officials said they first tried to frighten the owl into moving off of the runway, before the decision was made to shoot the animal. Airport officials said the shooting prevented a potentially dangerous collision in the air.
Wittman Regional Airport possesses a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to lethally remove various animals, including snowy owls, from airport property.
- Flooding continues into weekend in several Midwest states
- Police: Plane heading to Green Bay crashes in Indiana
- 2 critically injured in rear-end crash near Beloit, officials say
- Suicide rate falls in Wisconsin; number of gun-related suicide deaths stays above national average
- Multiple agencies respond to fire at Briess Industries in Waterloo Thursday night
- Parent writes 'gun' on cardboard, gets into Madison classroom