SHULLSBURG, Wis. - A 51-year-old man was involved in a rollover crash Wednesday after authorities said he evaded police at high speeds before losing control.
The city of Darlington Police Department is investigating the crash in Shullsburg, Wisconsin on Highway 11 near Aetna Road. Darlington police officials said in a release that the accident happened around 2:13 p.m. Wednesday.
According to the statement, the crash happened during a high-speed pursuit involving the Lafayette County Sheriff's Office.
Officials said Clarence M. Campbell Jr., of Rockford, Ill., was driving a 2001 Ford Taurus at speeds above the posted limit. The statement said Campbell was evading members of the Sheriff's Office, when the car reportedly went off the road onto the shoulder. Campbell then overcorrected, officials said, crossing the center line and leaving the road on the other side. The car rolled several times before landing in a field.
Campbell wasn't wearing a seat belt during the crash and was transported to Southwest Health Care in Platteville.
- New allegations released against retired Fort Atkinson priest
- Parents say special education is in crisis, address MMSD
- 'Ministry of presence': How chaplains are helping wellness of police officers in Wisconsin
- Man who sexually assaulted UW student to be placed in Fitchburg apartment
- Residents see floating bogs on Lake Koshkonong
- Police: Suspect in suspicious death found, arrested within 14 hours