VICTORIA, Texas - Authorities say five people have been killed and seven injured in a three-vehicle accident in South Texas.
The Department of Public Safety says the crash happened around 11 a.m. Saturday on U.S. 59, 5 miles (8 kilometers) northeast of Victoria.
Sgt. Ruben San Miguel says investigators are trying to determine why a northbound van hit the left rear of a northbound semi pulling a flatbed trailer. The van then struck a southbound pickup truck.
Five people in the van died at the scene -- the female driver, two men and two children. Five others in the van were injured.
The pickup driver and a passenger were hospitalized in serious but stable condition. The driver of the semi wasn't hurt.
DPS says visibility was clear and the road was dry.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Stoughton police stop stolen car, arrest teen
- 8-year-old girl calls 911 after uncle becomes unresponsive behind the wheel
- Madison police searching for woman accused of stabbing boyfriend during fight
- Authorities use DNA to identify 6 victims of Wisconsin fire
- Coalition pushes for dental therapists in Wisconsin
- Madison police find 13 counterfeit $100 bills on Chicago man