TOWN OF SPRINGFIELD, Wis. - Crews worked to rescue cows from a manure pit in Waunakee, fire officials said Tuesday.
The Waunakee Fire Department said two cows became stranded in an underground pit in the 7000 block of Hyer Road shortly before 7 p.m.
Fire crew workers wore a breathing apparatus and had to go into the pit, which was several feet deep, to rig up the cows to be lifted using a loader.
Some of the crew who were covered in manure had to be hosed off at the site.
"This makes cleaning up after a structure fire seems like child’s play," the fire department said.
The cows were successfully rescued and appeared uninjured after they were rescued, Capt. Brian Adler told News 3.
Henry Vilas Zoo holds International Polar Bear Day celebration
Youth Police Initiative brings teens, Madison police officers together
- Youth Police Initiative brings teens, Madison police officers together
- Meeting held for change following alleged altercation between teacher, student
- Hit-and-run crash with injuries leads to 5th offense OWI arrest
- Heavy rain arrives Saturday night, minor flooding possible
- Willy Street BBQ restaurant to close next week
- Championship Saturday: Local wrestlers set to compete in WIAA finals