COLUMBUS - A Columbus family is warning fellow parents to be extra careful checking their children’s food after finding a razor in his son's fast food meal.
Four-year-old Emmett loves his toys, but Scot Dymond said his McDonald’s Happy Meal came with an unhappy surprise.
"He was super excited he had a new toy,” Dymond said. “He started waving it around, and I realized it was actually a razor knife."
Instead of a toy, Dymond said his family's drive through trip Sunday afternoon came with the sharp tool, which they didn’t notice until they got home.
"I couldn’t imagine him cutting his arm open, or even losing a finger, because it's so sharp,” he said. "I was very upset, very angry. I couldn’t figure out how it would've even gotten in there."
A Columbus dad says instead of a happy meal toy, his 4-yo son got this unhappy surprise from the local McDonald's. Police believe this razor, used as a cleaning tool, made its way into the happy meal box by mistake. @WISCTV_News3 #news3now pic.twitter.com/bL1Cpg0abr— Madalyn O'Neill (@news3madalyn) March 4, 2019
"(It’s) kinda scary, kinda scary. I understand the blade was also extended when it was found in the box as well,” acting Columbus police Chief Dennis Weiner said. “I'm sure they were surprised to not have a toy."
Weiner said his department has never received reports of strange items from the local McDonald's before, especially anything like a razor.
“I don't think anyone had ill intent,” he said. “I think it was a fluke."
Weiner said surveillance video doesn't show exactly what happened, but investigators believe the razor was likely bumped into the happy meal box. He said the McDonald’s has been completely cooperative with the investigation.
Weiner confirmed the razor is from McDonald's and is used as a cleaning tool.
"Injury, choking, a lot of different things could have panned out of this, but fortunately did not,” he said.
Weiner said it’s a reminder for parents and children to watch what you eat, "because you never know."
Dymond knows he will be watching.
“McDonald’s is off our list, probably permanently,” he said. "I'm hoping corporate and the owner take corrective actions immediately. Retrain their staff and have some kind of safety check in place that every meal is checked, all tools are put in proper spots. There's no reason for a dangerous tool to be lying next to a food item."
“The safety and security of our customers is a top priority," said Dion Conn, the McDonald's owner and operator. "We are working with local law enforcement to investigate this claim.”
The Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection said the agency has opened an investigation into this report.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Consumer Reports: Tricks of trading in your vehicle
'It was a unanimous choice': The decision of hiring Corey Pompey as UW-Madison's new band director
- 'It was a unanimous choice': The decision of hiring Corey Pompey as UW-Madison's new band director
- Should Wisconsin lottery winners be required to come forward?
- Chicago Heights man sentenced to more than 7 years prison for selling heroin in Madison, DOJ report
- Police K-9 stabbed numerous times returns to duty
- Explosion in lab sends 1 to hospital, MFD reports
- Passing the baton: New UW marching band director named