MADISON, Wis. (AP) - An attorney for a man whose criminal case was featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" is seeking a new trial or evidentiary hearing.
Steven Avery is serving a life sentence for the 2005 killing of photographer Teresa Halbach. A circuit judge denied his request for a new trial in August.
Attorney Kathleen Zellner had promised an appeal and filed a 150-page document Monday asking the Wisconsin Court of Appeals to take up the case. She asked the court to consider claims ranging from insufficient scientific testing of evidence to ineffective trial counsel.
Avery's nephew, Brendan Dassey, is also serving a life sentence in the killing. He recently asked Gov. Tony Evers to grant him clemency after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear his case.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Seasonal lighting celebration downtown starting this weekend
- Doctor to examine competency of man accused in acid attack
- Wisconsin county declares itself Second Amendment sanctuary
- Number of food carts down for second year in Madison, according to 2019 city review
- Mom, 2-year-old safe after truck rolls down embankment
- What problems are showing up in your child's school bus