Madison apartment fire displaces 5 people, 3 pets
MADISON, Wis. — Several people have been displaced following an apartment fire in Madison on Monday afternoon, officials said.
Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster said there were multiple 911 calls reporting smoke seen coming from an apartment in the 900 block of Magnolia Lane.
Firefighters arrived at the scene minutes later and saw the smoke. Flames were out as far as crews could see, but firefighters were checking for hot spots.
All five occupants made it out of the apartment safely but told crews their pets were still inside. Firefighters went into the building and saw a fire in the living room.
The report said two dogs were spotted and immediately rescued. The crew quickly knocked down the fire and also rescued a pet rabbit. Officials said no one was hurt.
The tenants have been temporarily displaced and will receive help from the American Red Cross, while Dane County Animal Services is providing supplies for some of the pets.
Investigators announced Wednesday the fire was accidental and due to an unattended candle.
Damage from the fire is estimated at $30,000.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.