Motel near Lodi considered total loss after Sunday night fire

LODI, Wis. — Lodi fire officials said an unattended grill and a lack of fire hydrants in the area are the reason a local motel burned down over the weekend.

Firefighters with the Lodi Fire Department responded to Lucky’s Bridge Motel on County Raod V shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday night after getting a report of a fire. By the time crews arrived the blaze had already spread to the second floor and flames were showing through parts of the roof.

Officials said they requested other units respond because there were no hydrants in the area. Additional crews helped establish water supply lines from Lake Wisconsin. Lodi fire officials said an estimated 225,000 gallons were used to extinguish the flames.

In total, 11 fire departments responded to fight the blaze.

RELATED: 11 fire departments respond to motel fire near Lodi

Alliant Energy and Madison Gas & Electric both responded to cut utilities to the building. A construction company supplied an excavator to help remove debris so firefighters could access hot spots.

According to an investigation, a grill that was left near the building started the fire in the back of the building before it was found.

No one was injured. Those staying at the motel were moved to other local hotels.