Mixed chemicals used to drain sink cause toxic fumes to fill Madison home
MADISON, Wis. — Toxic fumes caused the occupants of a Fieldwood Road home to get sick Friday after they mixed chemicals to clear a sink drain.
Engine Co. 11 and Medic 4 with the Madison Fire Department responded to the 6900 block of Fieldwood Road just before 4 p.m. on Friday, according to an MFD report. When crews arrived, the residents said they had tried to use sulfuric acid to clear a sink drain. When that didn’t work, they tried using Roto-Rooter drain cleaner.
The mixture of the chemicals then caused toxic fumes that filled the house, causing everyone inside, including pets, to get sick.
The residents called a plumber to help clear the sink, and he also experienced mild symptoms, according to the report.. A neighbor helped clear the home, but he did not report experiencing symptoms.
All four people — the two residents, the plumber and the neighbor — were evaluated by paramedics. The homeowners sought medical care, but they were not transported via ambulance.
Fire crews helped ventilate the house to ensure it was safe for the residents.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.