MFD: Woman found asleep next to couch on fire in apartment

MFD: Woman found asleep next to couch on fire in apartment
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

A phone call from neighbors reporting a fire alarm going off in an apartment building prevented greater harm around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to the Madison Fire Department.

A neighbor called the Fire Department because they heard a fire alarm going off on the 100 block of South Hamilton, and thought they could smell smoke. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found the resident asleep next to a couch that was on fire.

The firefighters put out the fire and paramedics evaluated the occupant before sending her to the hospital with minor injuries related to the fire.

Fire damages were contained to the couch and did not spread to nearby walls or other objects. The apartment sustained minor smoke damage. Firefighters found smoking materials on the couch and on the floor surrounding the couch, according to the release.

Officials said the early reporting of the smoke alarm by the neighbor helped prevent the fire from causing greater harm and damage.