MFD: West side fire caused by carelessly-discarded smoking materials
Six displaced, damage estimated at $65,000
MADISON, Wis. — A fire at an apartment building on Madison’s west side Friday afternoon was caused by carelessly-discarded smoking materials, fire officials said.
Madison Fire Department spokesperson Cynthia Schuster said fire crews were called to an apartment building at 2118 Allied Drive just after 4 p.m. Crews put out the fire in a second-floor apartment within three minutes of arriving at the scene.
Schuster said the occupants said they had an ashtray and smoking materials on a mattress in the bedroom where the fire originated.
Six people, including two children, were displaced by the fire, which caused $65,000 worth of damage, Schuster said. The Red Cross is helping those affected.
Firefighters remained on scene to make sure the building’s utilities were shut off, Schuster said. No one was injured.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.