MFD: Unattended stove likely caused apartment fire; family asleep inside impacted unit
One adult, two children helped outside
MADISON, Wis. — Madison firefighters believe an unattended stove caused the fire that displaced a family on Madison’s southwest side.
Firefighters were called to a four-unit apartment building along the 5800 block of Russet Road shortly before 10 p.m. Wednesday.
As crews entered the building, they noticed smoke in the hallway, according to a release from the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters forced the door to a second-floor apartment and encountered black smoke. They found flames coming from the stove inside the apartment, according to the release.
As firefighters conducted a search of the apartment, they found an adult and two children still asleep in their bedrooms. Firefighters got the family outside safely.
Damage is estimated around $10,000.
No one was hurt in the fire.
The Red Cross is helping the family find temporary housing.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.