MFD: Electric bike, charging for the night, catches on fire

MFD: Electric bike, charging for the night, catches on fire
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Madison firefighters believe an electric bike battery caused an overnight fire inside a garage on the city’s far east side.

Firefighters were called out to a condo complex on Catalina Parkway just after midnight Wednesday, according to a release by the Madison Fire Department.

Firefighters said a sprinkler system had the fire under control and only a small amount of smoke had entered other rooms.

E-Bike Catches Fire, Damage Limited Thanks To Automatic Sprinkler Location: 4500 block Catalina Parkway Incident Type: Electrical Dispatch: 07/17/2019 12:02am A fire that broke out in a garage overnight was contained by an automatic… https://t.co/BepWxlRzmb

— Madison Fire Dept. (@MadisonWIFire) July 17, 2019

An investigation found the bike was being charged and its battery started the fire, according to Cynthia Schuster, a spokesperson for the Madison Fire Department.

The bike and a workbench nearby in the garage were damaged.

The owner told firefighters the electric portion of the e-bike was an aftermarket kit, purchased on eBay, Schuster said.

Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.

Comments

comments