Drive through this part of town and you soon realize you’ve happened upon someplace special. It looks and feels like Main Street, U.S.A. Located along the north shore of Lake Monona, the Schenk-Atwood-Starkweather-Yahara neighborhood features comfortable, modest single-family homes and duplexes mixed in with retail shops and restaurants. The heart of the neighborhood is the Goodman Community Center, a nonprofit organization that offers a welcoming space for families, children and seniors in the area, with its teen center and fitness facility. The center also caters to food-insecure families through its pantry, feeding up to 100 families each week with fresh, locally sourced food. Speaking of eating, Schenk-Atwood has its fair share of iconic, casual restaurants, such as Monty’s Blue Plate Diner, Next Door Brewing Company and Green Owl Café, a popular vegetarian and vegan restaurant. But don’t forget about the kitschy taverns around here too, including Harmony Bar & Grill (live music haven), Players Sports Bar (its burgers are some of the best) and Ohio Tavern (famous for tacos). For dessert, treat yourself to just about anything at Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier. The truffles are divine!
A Must-See: The Barrymore Theatre. This 971-seat theater has a long history in Madison. Built in 1929 as the Eastwood Theater, a venue for live theater and film screenings, it experienced many management changes and uses over the decades. In the 1980s, it showed X-rated movies exclusively. Today, the reimagined theater is the pride of the Schenk-Atwood neighborhood, having held more than 2,000 events in the last 20 years, including concerts, dance recitals, community forums and plays.
• Goodman Community Center, 149 Waubesa St.
• Community Gardens, 2000 to 2100 blocks of E. Main St.; Atwood gardens north of Atwood Ave.; St. Paul Gardens on the 3000 to 3200 blocks of St. Paul Ave.
• Fire Station #3, 1217 Williamson St.
• Police station: Central and East Districts, 211 S.Carroll St.
• Libraries: Hawthorne Branch, 2707 E. Washington Ave.; Pinney Branch, 204 Cottage Grove Road
• Neighborhood contact: Brad Hinkfuss, 608-242-9573; email@example.com
• Newsletter: Eastside News; contact Joanne Yanna, firstname.lastname@example.org