Here in Madison, we love our cupcakes almost as much as our pastry chefs love thinking up creative twists on the bakery staple. No matter the mashup—like a traditional flavor paired with a spirit, or a what-the-heck sweet and savory combo—there’s always something interesting and delicious to try. Feast your eyes upon a few locally made ones that are almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
Yep, you read that name right. But don’t draw any conclusions until you try it—an avocado batter makes for a super-soft cake base, which is then crowned with a fresh lime buttercream and sprinkled with sugar crystals. Madison Sweets is notorious for coming up with crazy cupcakes—another one they make is a tomato basil cupcake.
511 State St., 630-9030
MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
Don’t think spicy is the right word to describe a cupcake? It is in this case. This Bloom original is a chocolate fudge cupcake slathered with chocolate buttercream, stuffed with homemade ganache and infused with cinnamon and cayenne pepper for a kick that announces its presence at the end.
1834 Parmenter St., Middleton, 831-5797
The sweet honey and molasses taste of gingerbread is unmistakable. This cupcake will get you in the holiday spirit with a cream cheese frosting atop a soft gingerbread cake. The holly is molded out of sweet marzipan. This seasonal cupcake is available until the end of December.
1402 Williamson St., 257-1652
Guilty Pleasure Desserts
Go ahead, order the mojito—and make it the strawberry mojito from Guilty Pleasure Dessert. This vanilla cupcake is filled with a strawberry, mint and Yahara Bay rum mix and topped with vanilla frosting and a strawberry.
1219 N. Sherman Ave., 960-9966
GREAT DANE STOUT
Beer + cupcake = beercake. This chocolate cupcake is infused with Great Dane’s Emerald Isle Stout and topped with Bailey’s cream cheese frosting.
554 N. Midvale Blvd., 661-7465
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA PECAN
Daisy Cafe & Cupcakery
Think banana split … then add peanut butter. This Daisy classic is a banana pecan cake topped with two layers of buttercream—the first is peanut butter, the second is milk chocolate. And did we mention that it’s gluten-free? Because it definitely is. You can order a vegan version, too. 2827 Atwood Ave., 241-2200
- Appleton man arrested after threatening to 'shoot up the school'
- UW professor finds sleep necessary for forgetting, essential for learning
- Possibly icy days ahead
- New program lets people check out seeds from Rock County libraries
- Volunteers pack 120K meals to feed starving children
- Police: Wife shot in DeForest, husband in custody Friday night
- Man finds door to brother's home kicked in Saturday, police say
- Suspects flee after stolen car located Saturday, officials say
- Wisconsin bankruptcy filings in 2017 lowest in 10 years
- What to know about Wisconsin Supreme Court primary
- Report: Wisconsin electricity prices high, usage low
- Wisconsin students learning skills by running a business