Madison Magazine is always looking for talented, motivated individuals for internships and other job opportunities at Madison Magazine. We're currently accepting applications for a Factchecker.
MADISON MAGAZINE FACT CHECKER
Position: Madison Magazine Fact Checker
Employer or Company: Madison Magazine
Location: 7025 Raymond Road, Madison Magazine
Start Date: Contract basis
Application Deadline: Oct. 3, 2018
Madison Magazine is seeking a fact checker who can work off-site on a contractual basis. This person takes a careful eye to every article to be published in print, checking dates, names, quotes, concepts, numbers and the like. The fact checker has monthly deadlines and verifies about 17 articles a month.
Applicants must have access to a reliable computer with internet connection and Microsoft Word. We’re looking for an excellent communicator with polite and professional phone skills, who also possess strong editing and news judgment skills. Prior experience with fact checking, editing or AP Style is helpful but not required. The ability to meet deadlines is crucial.
Fact checking is an integral part of our production cycle that helps us ensure our readers get accurate, up-to-date information. We fact check all stories for the following reasons, as cited in the SPJ Code of Conduct:
1. To take responsibility for the accuracy of their work by verifying information before releasing it and using original sources whenever possible.
2. To avoid the use of excuses of speed or format for inaccuracies.
3. To actively seek out plagiarism and always attribute.
4. To provide updated and more complete information as appropriate.
5. To be able to respond quickly to questions about accuracy, clarity and fairness.
6. To acknowledge mistakes and correct them promptly and prominently by explaining corrections and clarifications carefully and clearly.
7. To abide by a set of high standards upon which we’ve built our reputation as a publication.
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Maija Inveiss, digital content editor
MADISON MAGAZINE EDITORIAL INTERN
Position: Editorial Intern
Employer or Company: Madison Magazine
Location: 7025 Raymond Rd., Madison
Start Date: Sept. 3, 2018
End Date: December (with option to extend)
Application Deadline: Aug. 30, 2018
Hours/week: Between 10 and 20 hours, $8/hour
· Researches for cover stories and larger projects
· Writes for both the print magazine and the website
· Completes fact checking and transcribing assignments
· Maintains online database maintenance (e.g. dining guide)
· Assists editor during production week
· Updates editorial e-newsletters
· Contributes to multimedia projects and web publishing
· Carries out social media projects
Madison Magazine interns gain valuable experience in journalism and online publishing through a variety of duties. Interns write, edit, fact check and work on special projects with our editorial staff. Past Madison Magazine interns have gone on to work for newspapers, magazines, trade publications, UW–Madison and American Girl, freelance for national publications and work for our company’s own WISC-TV and Channel3000.com.
The ideal candidate would be a student or recent graduate in the field of journalism, communications, English or a related field who can commute to our west-side office several times a week. You must possess strong writing skills and the ability to work independently and efficiently. Prior experience with web publishing, AP Style and fact checking is helpful but not required. The ability to problem solve, stay organized and work on a deadline is crucial.
Please send a resume, cover letter and three clips or work samples, preferably published. If you don't have published work, please send appropriate samples to demonstrate your writing ability to:
Andrea Behling, managing editor
MADISON MAGAZINE PHOTOGRAPHY
The Madison Magazine art department is not currently seeking photography interns, however, we are always looking for talented freelance photographers to take assignments. Send an email to Tim Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your website or online portfolio.