Madison hotel fire caused by “trying to put out bed bugs with cigarette,” MFD says

Madison hotel fire caused by “trying to put out bed bugs with cigarette,” MFD says
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

A fire at a west side hotel early Friday morning was caused by “trying to put out bed bugs with a cigarette,” the Madison Fire Department said.

According to an incident report, firefighters responded to 55 Junction Road just after midnight for a report of a mattress on fire in one of the rooms.

Firefighters said a manager notified them that the mattress had already been brought outside.

Inside the hotel, a “significant amount of smoke” was still in the third floor hallway, according to the report.

Officials said a hotel guest told firefighters he was “trying to put out bed bugs with a cigarette.” When the mattress caught fire, an automatic sprinkler activated, and the mattress was removed by management before firefighters arrived.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.