Madison garage fire started by discarded charcoal in trash bin, fire officials say
MADISON, Wis. — Multiple passersby reported a garage on fire on Ascot Lane Sunday around 8:20 p.m.
According to a fire incident report, crews arrived at 8:35 p.m. to find smoke and flames from a detached garage visible from Mineral Point Road.
The fire was isolated to one side of the garage. Engine Company 9 attacked the fire with their bumper line. The initial knockdown took four minutes.
A garage fire last night on Ascot Ln. was the result of charcoals discarded too soon. Remember, it can take up to 72 hours for hot coals to fully cool. Until then, store your spent charcoal in a metal container or the grill itself– and keep those items outside just in case! pic.twitter.com/zsVJj2lFdZ
— Madison Fire Dept. (@ MadisonWIFire ) September 23, 2019
During a search of the garage, the release said firefighters found a city of Madison garbage bin near a parked car. While inside, firefighters confirmed the fire was extinguished.
An occupant used his charcoal grill for a barbecue earlier in the day, and the coals were placed in the trash about an hour before the fire.
The release said it takes up to 72 hours for charcoal to fully cool down. Until that time, coals should be stored in noncombustible containers like a metal bucket or the grill just in case a fire re-ignites.
The fire caused damage to the garage and its contents, including the front end of the vehicle parked inside. It did not spread to neighboring units in the four-unit complex.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.