Madison Fire Department responds to explosive metal shredder at recycling facility
MADISON, Wis. — The Madison Fire Department responded to a fire at a metal recycling facility early Friday morning.
According to a news release, a call came in at 6:44 a.m. regarding a fire that broke out in a metal shredder at 4400 Sycamore Avenue.
An explosion reportedly occurred inside the shredder and led to a fire that was caused by items still inside. The report said employees called 911 after attempts to put out the fire with a handheld fire extinguisher was unsuccessful.
When firefighters arrived to the scene, they were able to supply water to the proper part of the shredder.
Once the conveyor belts were restored, the fire crew went through to make sure all fires were completely out.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.