Lightning strike scorches phone system at condominiums on Madison’s north side
MADISON, Wis. — A lightning strike at a condominium activated fire alarms, shut down elevators and caused the smell of burning wiring in a condominium complex on Madison’s north side, according to a news release from the Fire Department.
Officials said the lightning struck an electrical panel at the Cherokee Garden Condominiums. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they smelt burned electrical wires coming from the building at 58 Cherokee Circle.
Firefighters found burn marks on an electrical box in the basement. That box was connected to telephone lines and officials believe the lightning may have traveled through the phone lines and scorched the system.
Several residents reported hearing a loud lightning strike just before fire alarms sounded in the building.
A nearby panel was warm to the touch and smelled of burned electrical wiring. The complex was placed under fire watch until the alarm systems can be restored, according to the release.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.