Lighting strike caused Town of Beloit house fire
A Town of Beloit family escaped safely after lightning struck their house and sparked a fire early Wednesday morning.
Fire officials said that the house fire, located in the 2400 block of South Lookout Drive, was put out quickly. No one was injured in the blaze.
Town of Beloit and Town of Turtle firefighters helped battled the blaze.
The lightning apparently struck the outside of the house near the chimney and caused the fire on the exterior wall, fire officials said. The homeowner told investigators that he saw the flash of the lightning, heard thunder and the house shook and the home’s power went out.
The man and his daughter fled the house and called authorities.
Damages are estimated to be about $25,000.