This is colorful and has a unique blend of flavors and textures. To make it a luncheon dish, add cooked diced chicken.
- 2 cups cooked wild rice*
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, optional
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
*Directions for an easy, fool-proof way to cook wild rice.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash desired amount of rice and place in an oven-proof bowl or an oven proof pan. (Choose the size of bowl or pan depending on how much rice you are cooking. The rice will triple in amount after it is cooked.) For every cup of rice, measure 3 cups of water or chicken broth and place in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over rice. Cover bowl or pan with foil or a tight fitting lid. Place in oven and immediately turn off oven. Leave the bowl or pan of rice in the oven over night. In the morning you will find the rice perfectly cooked. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To prepare the salad, combine cooked wild rice in a large bowl with peas, peppers, pecans, celery, onion, and cranberries.
Combine dressing ingredients except orange zest in a small bowl or jar and blend with a food processor or immersion blender. Stir in orange zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over wild rice and stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories: 200
- Fat, gm.: 10
- Protein, gm.: 3
- Carbs, gm.: 25
- Cholesterol, mg.: 0
- Fiber, gm.: 3.1
- Creole shrimp with Asiago-topped polenta
- FAA to investigate after JFK winter storm meltdown
- Six teen suicides in six months in one Ohio school district
- Jeddah Tower: What does the world's next tallest skyscraper look like now?
- The facts on chocolate, wine and your heart
- Paper or plastic? How about neither