This is my grandson, Brandon’s, favorite salad. He loves the fresh spinach with apples and chopped peanuts with the subtle tasty, curry dressing.
- 2 medium tart red apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 bag (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach stems removed
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder*, optional
- dash Tabasco sauce to taste
Place diced apples in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Wash spinach and remove stems. If leaves are large, tear into smaller pieces. Place spinach, onions, and dried cranberries in the bowl with the apples. Set peanuts aside.
To prepare the dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar. Whisk until well blended.
Toss desired amount of dressing with the salad. Add peanuts right before serving.
Store any extra dressing in the refrigerator.
*Choose the curry powder of your choice. I used Penzey’s Sweet Curry powder.
Nutritional information per serving (8):
Fat, gm.: 12
Protein, gm.: 3
Carbs, gm.: 12
Cholesterol, mg.: 0
Fiber, gm.: 3