Lake Geneva hotel evacuated for natural gas smell, fire

Lake Geneva hotel evacuated for natural gas smell, fire

A Lake Geneva hotel was evacuated early Tuesday morning for a fire on the roof, according to a release.

A strong odor of natural gas was reported around 5:20 a.m. at the Cove at 111 Center St., officials said.

Firefighters found elevated levels of gas, but could not find the source, according to the release. While firefighters were investigating, an automatic fire alarm went off and the hotel was evacuated.

Crews found a fire on the roof in a heating and air conditioning unit, officials said.

Damage was limited to the HVAC unit. The cause and origin of the fire are still under investigation.

According to the release, no one was injured.

“A high occupancy building like the Cove always has life safety issues when there is a fire. We are fortunate that we had crews already on scene when the fire alarm sounded. With the help of maintenance staff from the Cove, we were able to quickly gain access to the roof, locate the fire, and extinguish it before the fire spread to the rest of the building. We’re glad that no one was hurt and that the Cove could return to operation,” Capt. Mark Moller-Gunderson said in the release.