Kitchen fire on east side causes $75,000 damage
Smoke alarm helps one resident escape injury
MADISON, Wis. — The Madison Fire Department said a kitchen fire Thursday evening caused major damage to home on the city’s east side.
The incident happened just before 6 p.m. Thursday in the 2000 block of Helena Street.
According to the fire department, the initial call came in from a resident reporting a fire on the stove top at her home.
Fire officials said the caller subsequently reported the fire was getting worse before she left the home. When firefighters from Engine 3 arrived, they reported seeing flames coming out of windows and the front door.
Crews quickly got inside and put out the fire, but the kitchen and the living room sustained extensive damage, according to the fire department.
The only person at home at the time was sleeping in a bedroom at the time, but was woken up by a smoke alarm. Fire officials said the resident awoke to find the fire on top of the stove.
Fire officials said the initial investigation indicates the fire was accidental and not suspicious. Officials estimate damage at $75,000.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.