Incense stick stuck in roll of toilet paper causes bathroom fire, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — A stick of incense inside a roll of toilet paper caused a small fire Friday afternoon in a home on Madison’s east side, officials said.
Firefighters were called around 3:45 p.m. to the 800 block of Vernon Avenue for reports of a burning smell inside a home, according to a release.
There were no obvious signs of fire from outside the homes, but firefighters could smell smoke when they went inside, officials said. Crews searched the duplex and ultimately found a wad of burned-up toilet paper that was smoking next to the toilet.
The resident told crews she put an incense stick in the roll of toilet paper, using the toilet paper as an incense holder, and forgot about it, according to the release.
The fire caused the plastic toilet paper holder to melt, dropping the burning toilet paper onto the floor and damaging the vinyl flooring, investigators said. Firefighters ventilated the home before leaving.
No one was injured in the fire.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.