B.J. Novak’s ‘Vengeance’ hits theaters, Amazon’s ‘Paper Girls’ delivers and ‘Nope’ gets a big Yup | Streamed & Screened podcast
We spend the first chunk of this episode weighing in (spoiler free!) on Jordan Peele’s spin on the flying saucer genre, “Nope,” which was filled to bursting with big concepts, memorable images and over-the-top set pieces that deserve to be seen on the biggest screen you can find.
We also offer up a preview of “Vengeance,” a fictional riff on the true-crime podcast genre that was written and directed by B.J. Novak who many will likely know better as Ryan from “The Office,” as well as a look at “Paper Girls,” a soft sci-fi time travel series premiering on Amazon Prime that’s adapted from a comic by the absurdly prolific writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Runaways, Saga).
Streamed & Screened is a podcast about movies and TV hosted by Bruce Miller, an entertainment reporter for multiple decades who is now the editor of the Sioux City Journal, Jared McNett, a reporter for the Sioux City Journal, and Chris Lay, the podcast operations manager for Lee Enterprises.
Make sure you’re subscribed to Streamed & Screened (wherever you get your podcasts!) so as to not miss our next bonus episode which rounds up the most exciting movies of the dozens that dropped trailers this past weekend.
Where to watch:
- Nope (official site)
- Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (official site)
- Vengeance (official site)
- Paper Girls (Amazon Prime)
- DC League of Super-Pets (official site)
- Not Okay (official site)
- Resurrection (official site)
- A Love Song (official site)
Recent articles by Bruce Miller:
- ‘High School Musical’ brings the Bleu back to performing
- Tim Federle tells why “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” has been a star maker
- Jeremy Allen White learns the ins and outs of a restaurant in ‘The Bear’
- Brad Pitt sparks ‘The Lost City’ but he’s not the film’s focus
- Three actors aspire for Broadway after “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”
- Little Big Town offers up another great summer song
Check out Jared on the ‘On Iowa Politics Podcast’ here:
Follow the show: