11 best movies featuring high-stakes games; Abbi Jacobson, Chanté Adams discuss ‘A League of Their Own’ | Streamed & Screened podcast
This week Bruce Miller interviewed Abbi Jacobson and Chanté Adams about “A League of Their Own,” the new Amazon Prime show that takes its source material further.
We catch up with our feelings on “Bullet Train, Prey” and “Sandman,” as well as offer up preview Netflix’s upcoming “13: The Musical.”
In honor of the new horror movie “Bodies Bodies Bodies” premiering in theaters we’ve got a list of movies that incorporate some high stakes games.
Down below we’ve got links to all the stuff we talk about and places you can connect with us and subscribe to the show!
Streamed & Screened is a podcast about movies and TV hosted by Bruce Miller, an entertainment reporter for multiple decades who is now the editor of the Sioux City Journal, Jared McNett, a reporter for the Sioux City Journal, and Chris Lay, the podcast operations manager for Lee Enterprises.
Where to watch:
- Bodies Bodies Bodies (Aug. 12)
- “I Am Groot” (Aug. 10, Disney+)
- “A League of Their Own” (Aug. 12, Amazon Prime)
- 13: The Musical (Aug. 12, Netflix)
- Bullet Train (theaters)
- Prey (HULU)
High Stakes Games!
- The Last of Sheila (1973)
- Marathon Man (1976)
- The Deer Hunter (1978)
- Funny Games (1997)
- The Game (1997)
- Battle Royale (2000)
- 13 Tzameti (2005)
- Cheap Thrills (2013)
- Game Night (2018)
- Ready or Not (2019)
- Promising Young Woman (2020)
Recent articles by Bruce Miller:
- ‘Dr. Strange’ serves as preview of coming attractions
- ‘Reservation Dogs’ returns with more heart, tears
- Despite all the saccharine, ‘Mrs. Harris’ offers smiles
- Is there crying in baseball? Kelly McCormack explains
- Amazon’s new ‘League of Their Own’ tells more female baseball stories
- Eye-popping ‘Pam & Tommy’ delves into that chaotic world of celebrity
Recent episodes of On Iowa Politics co-hosted by Jared:
- Federal abortion ban, Reynolds red flags, Scholten joins Team Franken
- Iowa Polls, Contraception & Marriage Equality, and Red Flags
- Kim Reynolds Court, Republican endorses Democrats, and a close AG campaign
- Ernst’s Vet Vote, Iowa First-in-Nation Status, and Abortion in Kansas
“Cat Person” by Kristen Roupenian (The New Yorker, Dec. 4, 2017)
Follow the show: