House fire caused by burning incense, deemed accidental
Two right lanes of E. Washington Ave. closed
MADISON, Wis. — A house fire on Madison’s near-east side early Wednesday was caused by burning incense, fire officials said.
The Madison Fire Department said crews responded at 5:12 a.m. to a report of a fire in the 1900 block of East Washington Avenue.
The fire started on the third floor. One person had to be removed because of the blaze. A crew was able to put out the fire with a water cannon. No one was injured.
A fire official said the fire was deemed accidental. Burning incense left unattended caused the fire, and the fire was kept to that room, according to the news release.
The room sustained minor fire and smoke damage, which is estimated to cost about $7,000, the fire department said.
The fire also caused some traffic problems for people trying to get to work downtown Wednesday. One lane of East Washington Avenue at Second Street was briefly closed.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.