Homes evacuated during Grant County fire

Six homes were evacuated while firefighters responded to a fire at a woodworking shop in Georgetown Sunday night, according to the Grant County Sheriff’s Office.

Crews responded to 1323 Church Rd. at about 9:30 a.m. for a report of a fully engulfed woodworking shop.

Deputies said the building contained large amounts of chemicals used in manufacturing wood products, and 55 gallon drums were exploding. Nearby homes were evacuated because of the chemical dangers.

Fire crews from Cuba City, Hazel Green, Dickeyville, Jamestown, Platteville and Lancaster responded.

County Road D was closed for about two hours while crews responded to the fire.

Because of cold temperatures and water being transported to the scene, highway crews were called to keep ice from forming on the roadway.

Another fire at 5:10 p.m. in Rockville damaged a home.

The Grant County Sheriff’s Office said a chimney fire at 6414 State Highway 35/61 quickly spread and the home became fully engulfed.

Both lanes of the highway were closed for three hours as three fire departments fought the fire.