Home damaged after lightning strike Friday

Dog and her puppies rescued from Janesville fire

A duplex on Madison’s northeast side suffered $10,000 in damage after being struck by lightning Friday morning, according to a news release from Madison Fire Department.

According to the release, the residents heard a large boom around 7:50 a.m. Friday before seeing a flash and sparks falling from the roof of the garage.

Fire officials said a fire started in the garage attic when Styrofoam caught a mattress on fire. One of the residents was able to put out the fire with a garden hose before fire crews arrived.

The garage suffered damage to the ceiling and attic, as well as minor damage to the electrical system, chimney and a bedroom.