High winds complicate firefight; Home, shed destroyed by fire
TOWN OF CHRISTIANA, Wis. — Firefighters from several fire departments were called to the scene of a fire Wednesday morning in the town of Christiana.
Firefighters were called at 9:30 a.m. to 2185 Clear View Road after a neighbor spotted the fire. Firefighters from Fort Atkinson, McFarland, Edgerton, Stoughton, Deerfield and Cambridge were called to the scene.
“We were lucky enough to have a good response from Cambridge and our surrounding communities to help us put the fire out,” Cambridge Fire Department Assistant Chief Ted Blackwood said.
Investigators said ash from the chimney of an outdoor wood furnace blew onto a nearby shed, setting it on fire. The fire from the shed then spread to the house.
Blackwood said the strong winds made it difficult to fight the fire, and the location of the house posed an even bigger challenge.
“We’re up on top of a hill here, so the wind is even stronger,” he said. “All it does is it fuels the fire even more.”
Both the shed and home are considered a total loss, valued at approximately $165,000.
No one was at home at the time of the fire.
Blackwood said his crews were very busy Wednesday.
“This is our third call of the morning,” he said.
The other two calls were for a shed, which was destroyed, and a smoke alarm.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.