Heat gun being used to thaw pipes starts basement fire, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — A basement wall caught fire Wednesday night after a resident used a heat gun on some pipes that were frozen, according to a release from the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters were called around 6:05 p.m. to a house in the 4100 block of Mineral Point Road for reports of a basement fire, officials said.
The homeowner told firefighters he was trying to warm up a kitchen supply line in his house with a heat gun, according to a release. He said he had been working on it for about 15 minutes before heading upstairs to the kitchen to see if the water line was working again.
When he went back into the basement, he noticed smoke and called 911, officials said.
In addition to the basement area where the fire started, the space underneath the kitchen sink was soaked with water to stop the spreading fire, according to the release.
No one was injured or displaced by the incident, officials said.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.