Hazmat teams clean up chemical spill on far west side
Maintenance worker accidentally mixed chemicals
MADISON, Wis. — The Madison Fire Department’s Hazardous Incident Team had to clean up a chemical spill Friday after a maintenance worker accidentally mixed two chemicals together.
The incident happened in the 300 block of Samuel Drive on the city’s far west side about 2 p.m. Friday.
According to the fire department, the worker accidentally mixed together muriatic acid and chlorine in a pump room of an apartment complex.
When the worker realized his mistake, he carried the 30-gallon container out to a parking lot, but the employee became ill and was taken to the hospital by a co-worker.
The fire department closed off the street while crews went into the garage to neutralize the chemicals and flush out the parking lot with water. The process continued until chemical readings dropped and air quality levels returned to normal.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.