Hazmat team responds to UW Hospital for chemical spill, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — Madison’s hazardous incident team helped clean up a chemical spill Tuesday night at UW Hospital, according to a release.
Crews were sent around 7:35 p.m. to 1675 Highland Avenue for a small xylene spill, officials said.
Xylene is used in labs, where exposure can happen through inhalation, ingestion or eye or skin contact, according to the National Library of Medicine. Exposure to xylene can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and irritation to the nose and throat.
HIT team members used absorbent material to clean up about five gallons of xylene, officials said.
The crews, wearing protecting clothing and air packs, put the chemical in a disposal container for pickup and disposal by a licensed contractor, according to the release. The crew also monitored the air quality during the incident.
No one was injured.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.