Hazmat team investigates why 10 people got sick at Watertown church
The Madison Fire Department Hazardous Incident Team was sent to Watertown Sunday to investigate why 10 people got sick during church services, officials said.
The HIT team got a call from Wisconsin Emergency Management around 11:30 a.m. after a number of people at St. John’s Lutheran Church were taken to the hospital, according to a release.
All of them were experiencing dizziness, weakness and lightheadedness, and a witness said one person was unresponsive for two to three minutes, officials said.
The Watertown Fire Department said it was not getting any carbon monoxide readings, and oxygen levels were normal in all areas of the church.
The HIT team performed a number of air tests in the church and the school across the street, but they were unable to find a root cause of the sicknesses, officials said.
Crews ruled out boiler problems and the possibility of nearby gas main work, according to the release.
Health Department officials and the HIT crew said the church could reopen.