Hazmat incident cleared on Madison’s north side
Business evacuated during response
MADISON, Wis. — A business was evacuated after a detection system reported the presence of a toxic and potentially explosive compound Wednesday morning.
Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Lori Wirth said the situation involved low levels of the compound arsine that was detected at company Alfalight at 1832 Wright Street after 8 a.m.
The company designs and manufactures high-power diode lasers for the industrial, defense, and telecommunications markets.
The source of the compound was identified and crews began clearing the scene after 10 a.m. Fire officials said a piece of equipment was not shut down properly.
The building’s ventilation system was used to clear the building of any residual gases leaked from the cylinders.
Roads in the area of Anderson and Wright streets were closed during the response.