Guests suffer pepper spray exposure in hotel incident

Guests suffer pepper spray exposure in hotel incident

Multiple patients were treated at a town of Vienna hotel for after a guest sprayed pepper spray in his room, which leaked into other parts of the building, officials said.

The Dane County Sheriff’s Office said visitors at the Comfort Inn and Suites at 5025 County Road V reported at 9:42 p.m. that there was a strange odor and their throats were burning. Crews evacuated the building, officials said.

The sheriff’s department said 45-year-old Christopher L. Ardell, of Vergennes, Vermont, had used pepper spray in his rented room. The deployment of the pepper spray caused secondary contamination through the ventilation system of other guests.

Affected guests were treated at the hotel for minor exposure and allowed to return to the building after it was ventilated by DeForest fire personnel, according to the report.

Ardell was arrested on suspicion of one count of disorderly conduct and one count of criminal damage to property. He was taken to the Dane County Jail.

Comments

comments