Grease fire causes $5,000 in damage to west side apartment
MADISON, Wis. — A grease fire at a far west side apartment building on Saturday evening caused $5,000 in damage, the Madison Fire Department said.
Fire department spokesperson Bernadette Galvez said firefighters were called to the 2900 block of Cimarron Trail at 6:04 p.m. for a fire on a stove. Firefighters found smoke coming from a second-floor sliding glass door. When firefighters entered the apartment, they found black smoke banked down to the floor.
Firefighters used a water can to extinguish the fire before checking nearby walls and cabinets for other traces of fire, Galvez said in a news release.
The release said the apartment’s occupant was cooking with oil and left the kitchen to serve food in another room. When the occupant returned, there was a fire on top of the stove, which they tried to smother with a rug.
Damage was confined to the apartment in which the fire occurred, and no one was injured, the release said.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.