Google Nest, smoke detectors alert Madison couple to fire

Google Nest, smoke detectors alert Madison couple to fire
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

A couple on the west side of Madison is crediting their smoke detectors and new in-home technology for potentially saving their home.

According to a release from the Madison Fire Department, after cooking and eating breakfast on Tuesday, one Putnam Road resident headed off for work while another stayed home but was upstairs when a fire broke out.

While upstairs, she heard the smoke alarm going off and returned to the kitchen, where she found plastic trays on the still-active stovetop.

Smoke Detector, Google Nest Alert Couple To Fire In Their Kitchen Location: Putnam Road Incident Type: Structure Dispatch: 08/13/2019 11: 31am A Madison household learned there was a fire in their kitchen thanks to both a working smo … https://t.co/mVlVNTWCZ5

— Madison Fire Dept. (@ MadisonWIFire ) August 14, 2019

Meanwhile, the smoke detectors sent an alert to the husband via his smartphone through their in-home Google Nest. He quickly returned home and called 911.

Fire crews responded a short later to search for any lingering hot spots.

Although this incident was caught early, the Madison Fire Department wants to remind everyone that it is unsafe to return inside somewhere after a fire is discovered. They say the fire grows fast, and the smoke can affect you much sooner than the fire itself.

They recommend immediately evacuating and closing doors and windows behind you if you are able.

Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.

Comments

comments