Roads reopen after gas line struck near former downtown location of Madison College
MADISON, Wis. — The Madison Fire Department responded to a gas leak near the former Madison College building Thursday morning.
A gas line was struck along the 200 block of Wisconsin Avenue around 8:50 a.m., according to the Madison Fire Department. The gas leak was contained by 9:10 a.m.
Safety perimeters are still in place in downtown Madison. The Madison Fire Department is working with Madison Gas and Electric to monitor natural gas levels inside the former Madison College building on N. Carroll Street.
Roads in the area began opening around 11:30 a.m., according to a tweet by the Madison Fire Department. Drivers are asked to slow down and drive with caution since emergency crews remain on scene.
All workers on site were evacuated and no injuries were reported, Schuster said. The former Madison College building was vacant besides on going construction work.
Firefighters said nearby buildings are safe and occupants in those buildings are sheltering in place.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.