Fitchburg day care reopens after smoking furnace prompts evacuation

Children evacuated after fire at child care center
Firefighters help children onto a bus after a fire at a child care center in Fitchburg

A Fitchburg day care reopened Tuesday after a smoking furnace prompted the evacuation of 70 children and adults Monday morning.

One person was taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after officials received a report of a furnace on fire at the La Petite Academy at 5574 Lacy Road around 11:06 a.m.

Firefighters said there was smoke coming from a faulty furnace when they arrived. There was no active fire.

A maintenance person on-scene was transported to a hospital to be treated for exposure to the chemicals from a fire extinguisher, according to a release. The maintenance worker was treated and released Monday.

Madison Metro was asked to bring buses to the scene to help keep the kids warm. The children were taken to a nearby library, where they were picked up by their guardians.

“Emergency responders arrived promptly, confirmed that none of the children or staff needed medical attention, and worked with us to keep the children warm while we arranged for them to be transported to our evacuation location,” said Lydia Cisaruk, director of communication for La Petite Academy.

According to the release, classes at Le Petite were held in the upper level of the building while a new furnace was being installed in the lower level.